Split Dose Bowel Preparation Instructions
Day of Procedure
This preparation is designed to cause frequent bowel movements within half to four hours. This may disrupt your sleep to some extent. You will need to follow all the dietary restrictions set out below. The colon must be completely clean for the procedure to be accurate and complete, so be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Avoid eating seed containing (eg. multi-grain bread) and high residue foods such as dried fruit and nuts 3 days prior to your colonoscopy.
St John of God Specialist Centre or SJOG Hospital; the day prior to your scheduled procedure, you will be contacted to finalise your time of admission. This may be half an hour to 3 hours prior to your scheduled procedure.
Your discharge time will vary but usually will be between 11 AM and 2 PM for a morning procedure and 4 PM and 6 PM for an afternoon procedure. You will need to make arrangement to be driven home by a family member or friend or taxi and need to ensure that someone stays with you after your discharge.
Day Before Your Procedure
Drink only clear fluid (anything you can see through) after a light breakfast (low residue diet eg two pieces of toast). Please drink as much water/clear fluid as you can (ideally more than 2 liters) throughout the day. Solid food, milk or milk products are NOT allowed after breakfast. List of approved clear fluids include all the following that are not coloured red or purple:
- Strained fruit juices without pulp
- Clear broth or Bonox
- Coffee or tea (without milk or non-dairy creamer)
- Plain jelly (without added fruits or toppings)
- Clear ice blocks
- Carbonated and non-carbonated soft drinks
- Fruit flavoured cordials
- Dissolve one sachet of PicoprepTM in a glass of warm water and drink (you can refrigerate the mixed sample prior to drinking). Follow with at least one full glass (250ml) of approved clear fluid/water.
- Continue to drink clear fluids/water – more than one glass per hour if possible.
- Dissolve 2nd sachet of PicoprepTM in a glass of warm water and drink. Follow with at least 250ml of approved
The Morning Of Your Procedure
At ____________ AM start drinking your last bowel prep. Finish drinking bowel prep by___________ AM:
- Mix GlycoprepTM powder with one (1) liter of water and drink the mixture slowly over the next one to one and half hours. You can refrigerate the mixed sample prior to drinking.
- You may drink water up to 2 – 3 hours prior to your scheduled colonoscopy. For example if your procedure is planned for 8.30 AM, you can drink water until 6.30 AM. If procedure is at 1.30 PM, you may drink water until
Click here for Printable Version